Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

 



I'm having so much fun seeing all the quilts in Blogger's Quilt Festival that I decided to participate, too.  Amy from Amy's Creative Side hosts this festival.  If you're stopping by my blog for the first time, welcome and I hope you find some fun things!

The quilt I'm entering into the Blogger's Quilt Festival is one of my Summer Block of the Week quilts from Primitive Gatherings.  I believe this was from 2009.  I love their Block of the Week program - each week of summer, for 12 weeks, you receive a block pattern and fabrics and wools to make that block.  At the end, you can purchase a finishing kit if you want to, or you can finish it your own way.  This quilt is wool on flannel, and all the wool is blanket stitched by hand.   Part of my fun summer ritual is to get the block all prepared during the week, and then spend some of my weekend sitting on the deck and stitching - very relaxing!  When I look at these quilts, I'm reminded of summer and the slower pace.  In my memory, the weather is always perfect, too!

I've participated in this program several years, and two of the quilts are even finished!  This quilt is hand quilted with perle cotton.  It's hard to see from the picture, but it is quilted in straight lines through all the half-square triangles.

Here's a closeup of one area of the quilt.  The wools in this quilt are very bright and pretty.  I really enjoy wool applique - if you've never tried it, buy a simple kit and give it a try.  It's not the cheapest hobby, but you get a lot of hours of fun out of one kit, and something nice to enjoy when you're done.  There are several different methods to do wool applique, but the method I have most success with is using Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 on the back of the wool.  It keeps the edges neat, and I can iron the appliques into place before I start, and then the project is completely portable without having to go back into my sewing room.

Here are the stats for this quilt:
*Quilt Measurements:  47" x 58"
*Special Techniques used, if any:  Wool applique on Flannel,  hand blanket-stitched
*Quilted by myself
*Best category – Hand Quilted, Applique

Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to go to Amy's Creative Side to see all the other quilts in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.



8 comments:

  1. Oh Kathy, this quilt is beautiful. No, it's not just beautiful - it's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. I've fallen in love with this quilt all over again. I think this will be the project I carry on the Flying Cloud next summer. I'll be able to show it to you when I see you.

    Thanks for sharing your photographs. You're quite the inspiration, girlfriend. Thanks also for the lovely card you sent recently. I promise to get back to you soon.

    Have a great weekend.
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, your quilt is drop dead gorgeous! Absolutely stunning! Your applique is so well done and the overall quilt is a masterpiece. Congrats on a wonderful finish and good luck in the Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous quilt! I really, really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I scroll through the gallery at Blogger's Quilt Festival, your quilt catches my eye. I love it!!! I've only just started trying applique with wool, but I have to agree with you-- it is wonderful! Congratulations on a beautiful finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing work. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a charming quilt. Great job.

    Come see my entry #46 Batik Tulips,
    appliqued, hand quilted, wall hanging.

    also showing an antique #23 zizag-a-licious

    ReplyDelete