Monday, September 2, 2013

Design Wall Monday, September 2

You can tell summer is over by what's on my design wall!  These are the Block of the Week blocks from Primitive Gatherings.  I have 11 of the large blocks done, and 10 of the freebie small blocks.  There are thirteen blocks in each, I believe, so I have a little bit left to do.  I haven't inked in the words, and don't know if I will - I'll decide that after they're all done and trimmed.  The thought of writing on them in ink scares me a little after all that work!

Anyway, that's all the quilting that's been going on around here lately!  I don't know where August went, or summer for that matter.  I spent a fair amount of time running around with friends and shopping at quilt stores, but not all that much time actually making anything.  I'm well prepared for winter, though!

My big plan for September is to get Hocus Pocus Ville quilted.  This has been pieced for a very long time.  My big hangup on this one was my backing fabric.  I had ordered some Ghastlies fabric for the back, which I thought would be perfect.  It had a very white background, though, and my quilt is more tan, so I've been thinking about what to do about this - change out the backing (which I'd already bought) or dye it.  Yesterday I decided to just take the plunge and dye it tan.  I think it worked pretty well.

The original backing color is at the top of the picture, and the dyed one is below it.  They are laying on my embroidered block, so it looks like a pretty good match to me!  The white on the back would have just been too stark.  I love that Ghastlies fabric, though!   I'm going to get this basted tonight and hopefully quilted during September. 

That's it - if I can get this done, and my other few Blocks of the Week done, I'll consider September a good month!  I have one more running-around-shopping-at-quilt-stores excursion planned, and then I'm staying home to actually work on some of it!


6 comments:

  1. The dying worked out really well and it's prefect for your stitchery backing. I look forward to seeing it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice seeing all your blocks on the wall. This summer's blocks from Primitive Gatherings are winners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Ghastlies fabric! And you did s great job of matching with dye! Great Summer Blocks too! Will you be finishing those off your own way, or with the finishing kit PG offers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you matched the color very well. And I just saw the setting for the block of the week. I was very tempted to sign up for it as a BOM after seeing it. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your BOW blocks are gorgeous...guess you will have to be brave with the pen! I think your dye job is terrific...great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your BOW blocks - they are fabulous.

    The way you dyed your Ghastlies fabric is perfect for your embroidered blocks. Can't wait to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete